Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Blog 4

I just have to say that I loved when the panel came and talked about the Women Studies program and how it has effected there life. Listening to there stories and experiences has convinced me to add W/S as my minor. It got me thinking about class opportunities, and so I went to the course catalog and started researching the Women Studies program. I came across a Women’s Health class and a Body Image class that I am seriously thinking about taking. These classes would be perfect for my major and not to mention, better me as a person. I am a nursing major, and these days it is not uncommon to see male nurses in the workforce. Working as a CNA, I have encountered male nurses and they are just as good as female nurses. Some patience prefer a male nurse over a female nurse in order to feel comfortable. Its helpful to have that option for the patient, and it makes our job easier when the patient is comfortable. Some people may think that the nursing field is a "women's word" but its not. Men are filling nursing positions everyday, this is a good example of the world going through a role reversal. Watching the male nurses work with my dad in the hospital was great. They were wonderful, they encouraged him and could relate to him much easier than the female nurses, and most importantly he was comfortable. Working in the health field and setting with my dad at the hospital, has really made me a aware of how gender effects other people physically and emotionally. When people are constantly uncomfortable and embarrassed it can be hard on the body and can stress you out, then it starts to effect how your body is heeling. Having a female and male prospective in the nursing field is very important. It allows us to get that much closer to what the patient is feeling and explore different care options we can give the patient. Overall I think the Women Studies program will benefit my career and myself as a women. Is important to be aware of gender issues and be comfortable expressing them with my co-workers and that is what this program will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment